Week 6 Assignment: Communication Portfolio – Business E-Mail
Bob Frost, CEO of Anthony’s Orchard, will be making a presentation to a number of international investors and managers via web conference. He has asked the members of his executive team to draft an e-mail providing him with tools, tips, and resources to ensure an effective meeting.
To prepare for this Assignment:
Review this week’s Learning Resources, especially:
- Quintanilla, K. M., & Wahl, S. T. (2020). Business and professional communication: KEYS for workplace excellence (4th ed.) Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications.
- Chapter 8, “Technology In The Workplace”
- Center for Creative Leadership. (Producer). (2017). Four behaviors to help you calm work conflicts [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://www.ccl.org/multimedia/podcast/calming-conflict/
- Curseu, P. L., Schalk, R., & Wessel, I. (2008). How do virtual teams process information? A literature review and implications for management. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 23(6), 628–652. doi:10.1108/02683940810894729
- Dekker, D. (2007). Effective versus ineffective communication behaviors in virtual teams. Report presented at the 40th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS’07), Waikoloa, HI. doi:10.1109/HICSS.2007.195
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2015). Sample corporate website: Anthony’s Orchard. Retrieved from https://mym.cdn.laureate-media.com/2dett4d/Walden/MMSL/6115/02/anthonys_orchard_website/index.html
- Mind Tools. (2018). Working in a virtual team; Using technology to communicate and collaborate. Retrieved from https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/working-virtual-team.htm
To complete the Communication Portfolio Assignment, compose a cohesive document that CLEARLY addresses ALL the following:
- Provide a brief description of what it means to embrace diversity in the context of conducting business across cultures.
- Describe cultural dimensions related to communication practices.
- Describe practices that establish trust in a virtual environment.
- How might the CEO engage members of an individualist culture in a virtual environment? Collectivist?
- Provide an evaluation of various collaborative tools the CEO can use for his meeting.
- Discuss some of the logistics involved in planning a virtual meeting.
- What types of other technology tools are available to help ensure a successful meeting?
- How can the CEO apply effective leadership strategies to manage the meeting?