Write a 4-6 page annotated bibliography where you identify peer-reviewed publications that promote the use of a selected technology to enhance quality and safety standards in nursing.Introduction
Rapid changes in information technology go hand-in-hand with progress in quality health care delivery, nursing practice, and interdisciplinary team collaboration. The following are only a few examples of how the health care field uses technology to provide care to patients across multiple settings:
Patient monitoring devices.
Electronic medical records.
Data management resources.
Ready access to current science.
Technology is essential to the advancement of the nursing profession, maintaining quality care outcomes, patient safety, and research.This assessment will give you the opportunity to deepen your knowledge of how technology can enhance quality and safety standards in nursing. You will prepare an annotated bibliography on technology in nursing. A well-prepared annotated bibliography is a comprehensive commentary on the content of scholarly publications and other sources of evidence about a selected nursing-related technology. A bibliography of this type provides a vehicle for workplace discussion to address gaps in nursing practice and to improve patient care outcomes. As nurses become more accountable in their practice, they are being called upon to expand their role of caregiver and advocate to include fostering research and scholarship to advance nursing practice. An annotated bibliography stimulates innovative thinking to find solutions and approaches to effectively and efficiently address these issues.Preparation
To successfully complete this assessment, perform the following preparatory activities:
- Select a single direct or indirect patient care technology that is relevant to your current practice or of interest to you. Direct patient care technologies require an interaction, or direct contact, between the nurse and patient. Nurses use direct patient care technologies every day when delivering care to patients. Electronic thermometers or pulse oximeters are examples of direct patient care technologies. Indirectpatient care technologies, on the other hand, are those employed on behalf of the patient. They do not require interaction, or direct contact, between the nurse and patient. A handheld device for patient documentation is an example of an indirect patient care technology. Examples of topics to consider for your annotated bibliography include:
- Delivery robots.
- Electronic medication administration with barcoding.
- Electronic clinical documentation with clinical decision support.
- Patient sensor devices/wireless communication solutions.
- Real-time location systems.
Workflow management systems
Access the NHS Learner Success Lab, linked in the courseroom navigation menu, for additional resources.
Scan the search results related to your chosen technology.
- Select four peer-reviewed publications focused on your selected topic that are the most interesting to you.
Evaluate the impact of patient care technologies on desired outcomes.
- Analyze current evidence on the impact of a selected patient care technology on patient safety, quality of care, and the interdisciplinary team.
- Integrate current evidence about the impact of a selected patient care technology on patient safety, quality of care, and the interdisciplinary team into a recommendation.
- Publications may be research studies or review articles from a professional source. Newspapers, magazines, and blogs are not considered professional sources.
- Your selections need to be current—within the last five years.
- Annotated Bibliography
Prepare a 4–6 page annotated bibliography in which you identify and describe at least four peer-reviewed publications that promote the use of your selected technology to enhance quality and safety standards in nursing. Be sure that your annotated bibliography includes all of the following elements:
- Introduction to the Selected Technology Topic
What is your rationale for selecting this particular technology topic? Why are you interested in this?
- What research process did you employ?
- Which databases did you use?
- Which search terms did you use?
- Note: In this section of your bibliography, you may use first-person since you are asked to describe your rationale for selecting the topic and the research strategies you employed. Use third person in the rest of the bibliography, however.
- For each resource, include the full reference followed by the annotation.
- Explain the focus of the research or review article you chose.
- Provide a summary overview of the publication.
According to this source, what is the impact of this technology on patient safety and quality of care?
According to this source, what is the relevance of this technology to nursing practice and the work of the interdisciplinary health care team?
Why did you select this publication to write about out of the many possible options? In other words, make the case as to why this resource is important for health care practitioners to read.
- Summary of Recommendation
- How would you tie together the key learnings from each of the four publications you examined?
- What organizational factors influence the selection of a technology in a health care setting? Consider such factors as organizational policies, resources, culture/social norms, commitment, training programs, and/or employee empowerment.
How would you justify the implementation and use of the technology in a health care setting? This is the section where you will justify (prove) that the implementation of the
patient care technology is appropriate or not. The evidence should be cited from the literature that was noted in the annotated bibliography.
Consider the impact of the technology on the health care organization, patientcare/satisfaction, and interdisciplinary team productivity, satisfaction, and retention.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 3: Evaluate the impact of patient care technologies on desired outcomes.
Analyze current evidence on the impact of a selected patient care technology on patient safety, quality of care, and the interdisciplinary team.
Integrate current evidence about the impact of a selected patient care technology on patient safety, quality of care, and the interdisciplinary team into a recommendation.
- Competency 4: Recommend the use of a technology to enhance quality and safety standards for patients.
Describe organizational factors influencing the selection of a technology in the health care setting.
- Justify the implementation and use of a selected technology in a health care setting.
Competency 5: Apply professional, scholarly communication to facilitate use of health information and patient care technologies.
- Create a clear, well-organized, and professional annotated bibliography that is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.