Step 1: Please read Modules 13-16 in your textbook and review all materials provided in the Content module for this week.
Step 2: Watch the discussion video The Developing Child.
Step 3: Write 2 posts by clicking the link at the top of the page.
The first post is due Thursday by 11:59 PM (6 points). It will be based on your responses after you have reviewed ALL assigned materials, and will be composed of 2-3 paragraphs (600 word minimum) that answer the following questions:
- Choose one of your primary caregivers for the purposes of this discussion.
- Identify the parenting style(s) that person used based on the four styles proposed by Diana Baumrind (i.e., authoritative, authoritarian, permissive, and/or uninvolved). Remember that your chosen primary caregiver may have had a mix of parenting styles. Start by defining the style(s) you have identified for that individual. Next, use the defining characteristics to analyze your experiences with that individual that made you select a specific parenting style(s). That is, you should match the specifics of your example to the defining characteristics of one or more parenting styles.
- Identify the type of attachment you had with that primary caregiver based on the four styles proposed by Mary Ainsworth (i.e., secure, insecure, avoidant, and/or ambivalent disorganized). Start by defining the type of attachment. Next, use the defining characteristics to analyze your experiences that made you select a particular form of attachment. That is, you should match the specifics of your example to the defining characteristics of that type of attachment.”
- Respond to the three points below to discuss the developmental outcomes of the parenting style and type of attachment you experienced in terms of how well they prepared you to function within your current social/cultural context. Here you will be commenting on the cultural appropriateness of these parenting styles and types of attachment.
- What were your developmental outcomes associated with the parenting style and type of attachment you experienced?
- How were these developmental outcomes (in)appropriate in terms of your own development within your social/cultural context?
- If another person had the same experiences and developmental outcomes that you had, but in a different social/cultural context, do you think their relative appropriateness would be universal? That is, do you think different parenting styles and/or types of attachment would produce more or less appropriate developmental outcomes across different cultural contexts?
- Describe one topic you liked the most from this video. What was the importance of this topic and its application to real life situations?