To prepare for this Discussion:
• Review the “National Prevention Strategy.”
• Review the web linked information on Risk and Protective factors.
• Review the media segment “Prevention,” with Dr. Mark Kiselica. Think about the prevention approaches that Dr. Kiselica discusses and how these may be exemplified.
• Consider social issues, problems, or concerns and how they might differently be addressed through public health and mental health prevention strategies or initiatives.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a comparison (similarities and differences) of public health prevention and mental health prevention. In your comparison, provide specific examples of how prevention approaches and strategies are used to addresses issues, problems, or concerns related to both public and mental health.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the Learning Resources.
- Book Excerpt (for review): Gladding, S. T. & Newsome, D. W. (2003). Prevention. In Community and agency counseling (pp. 167–174). Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall Publishers.
Gladding, Samuel T.; Newsome, Debbie W., Community and Agency Counseling, (c) 2004. Electronically reproduced by permission of Pearson Education, Inc. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey. Click here to download the excerpt .
- Article: Albee, G. W., & Ryan-Finn, K. D. (1993). An overview of primary prevention. Journal of Counseling & Development, 72(2), 115–123. Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
Link for the media: https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/blackboard/conte…
username & password for video: firstname.lastname@example.org password: Maurelton88