I’m working on a management question and need support to help me learn.
MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference
Competing with the Couch: Improving the Venue Experience
With increasing options for when, where, and how fans are able to watch their favorite teams play, legacy venues are trying to accommodate newer technologies and comforts to encourage fans to come to live games and engage with their team. Creating a new venue experience offers organizations the opportunity to incorporate state-of-the-art technology, local and gourmet food and beverage options, and more ways for fans to interact with each other and the game itself. On this panel, executives will discuss how they are redefining the “street to seat” experience to fill their seats and create an unparalleled experience for longtime and new fans alike.
Host: Angela Ruggiero – CEO & Co-Founder, Sports Innovation Lab
Panel: Amy Latimer – President, TD Garden
Brian Mirakian – Senior Principal & Populous Activate Director, Populous
Pete Giorgio – Leader, US Sports Consulting, Deloitte
Watch the video Competing with the Couch: Improving the Venue Experience and answer the questions below. Be sure to answer using detailed examples presented in the video.
1. How have “Smart Venues” changed the fan experience? Explain two aspects of the fan experience ecosystem and provide a detailed example of each.
2. In your opinion, what aspect of technology has had the greatest impact on the fan experience?
3. What does the term “From the street to the seat” mean to you in relation to the TD Garden?
4. How does venue design impact a venues ability to offer the fan a personalized experience?
5. How have e-sports changed the venue experience for their fans? How can these trends be applied to other events/sports?
6. Explain how technology such as AR/VR has enabled “live at home” and if that has had an impact on venue ticket sales in arenas and stadiums? Do you see this option replacing the venue experience?
7. Describe what you think the fan experience will look like in the future.
8. Critique the panel discussion and what you learned from this assignment.