Unit 2 – Chapters 20-23 – Exam Instructions
Type your responses in one word document, and upload your document to the link below titled “Unit 2 Exam.”
Essay: 50 points.
Choose ONE of the following essay topics to write about. Your essay should be 4-5 paragraphs in length. You need to include an introduction and conclusion. You may use information from the textbook and the lecture note ONLY. DO NOT use outside sources. Plagiarism will NOT be tolerated.
- What were the reasons for American expansionism at the turn of the twentieth century? What justifications did Americans offer for expansionism?
- How did Hawaii become part of the United States?
- Discuss the issue of conservation. What steps did President Theodore Roosevelt did to promote conservation?
- Who were the muckrakers, and what was their contribution to American society?
- Why did America enter the war in Europe when it did? Why did it not enter before?
- How and why were civil liberties curtailed during World War I? What was the effect of these curtailments?
- Discuss the meaning and significance of the Harlem Renaissance.
- Discuss the emerging culture of modernism from the crucible of the Great War to the Great Depression.
Identifications: 25 points
Choose FIVE of the following topics to identify/define. Each identification should be a short paragraph and should include the following: who, what, when, where, and significance. These should written in full sentences, NOT in bullet form. You may use information from the textbook and the lecture note ONLY. DO NOT use outside sources. Plagiarism will NOT be tolerated.