Think about a problem or issue where you work. Assume that you need to recruit a team to solve the problem. As you think about how and who to select as the best members of your team, ask yourself the following:
• What is the overall preferred outcome for this team?
• What kinds of skills are needed to achieve that outcome (e.g., process skills to analyze the current problem; financial acumen to examine costs; organizational skills, including time management; consensus-building skills)?
• What individuals in your sphere of influence have each of those skills?
• Whose goals are aligned with learning from a team of diverse individuals to achieve the desired outcome (e.g., someone who has expressed an interest in participating in the leadership of the organization)?
• What would be possible gains or advantages for in it for each individual to join the team?